Re: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

On 06/05/2010 02:33 AM, Adil Allawi wrote:
>   I think there is a need to control, through CSS, of the bullet
> alignment separately from the text align and a new value (for want of a
> better name) 'match-dir' to give the alignment based on the dir
> attribute of the <li> element as follows:

This value already exists for 'text-align'. It's called 'start', and
it is defined in CSS3 Text:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-align
It is also the default (nameless) value defined in CSS2.1:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#alignment-prop

Secondly, wrt bullet alignment, the CSS Working Group already discussed
the proposal for bullets to align based only on their containing block's
direction, and concluded that we will NOT make this change to CSS for
the following reasons:
   1. There is interop already on the existing definition (bullet alignment
      depends on list-item direction only).
   2. It is consistent with list-style-position: inside, where the bullet
      is an inline box inside the list-item.
   3. There are use-cases for having the bullet change position based on
      the list item's direction rather than that of its containing block:
      since it is not obviously wrong, the WG finds there is inadequate
      justification to make this change to CSS2.1.

Please note that not all uses of "display: list-item" are for lists.
It can be used to generate markers and bullets for other purposes, such
as for headings.

The CSS Working Group does not have any objections to adding controls to
this in CSS3 Lists, and in that case the HTMLWG may adopt a different set
of default styling rules for the HTML list elements. However the CSSWG is
resolved that the default behavior in CSS will not change.

Just fyi.

~fantasai