RE: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

Markus,

That was also my point. I don't see the case for the bullet switching sides within the list. So, there is either:

* hello
* OLLEH

Or

Hello *
OLLEH *

However, that is too simple. The bullet image or characters might also be directional:

*) hello
*) OLLEH

Or

Hello (*
OLLEH (*

The bullet image may need a direction setting, independent of its placement.
For checkboxes, there are checked and unchecked images.
Also, when hovering over the items, the bullet may need to look different.
And if the bullets were numeric, the digits might need to change from European to Arabic.
That is a lot of options to consider around the direction changing.

The list need not be vertical. If the list goes horizontal, things get really ugly:

*) hello *) OLLEH Hello (* OLLEH (*

For lists, I don't see the case for changing per item.

Going in to the discussion this week, it would be good if we had lots of examples (print or web) of use cases we need to support. There are lots of theoretical cases, which are impractical, and many actual cases which we might not reflect on during the discussion.

Any suggestions for online places to look for large varieties of actual, typical or desirable bidi use cases?

Any established or accepted references for RTL UI or print design guidelines?
Tex