Re: Initial Feedback on Bidi Improvements in HTML

Thanks for the comments and the links.

I attach an example for mixed directionality references list where both RTL
and LTR items are aligned and numbered uniformly (to the left in this case).
(taken from the journal of the Israel Medical Association, sorry for the
quality of the scan...).
I believe that this is the common practice in mainstream Hebrew publications
(but I do not have statistics - just scanned the first example I could think
of).

Could it be that the "right" behavior should be language dependant?

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Craig Cummings <crc@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>  Aharon,
>
> I had some other references in mind and hope to get you more examples.
>
> However, a quick Google Books search came up with this book with a mixed
> RTL/LTR bibliography:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=tsIkuYDS_A4C&pg=PT142&dq=%D8%A7%D9%84&lr=lang_ar&as_brr=3&cd=28#v=onepage&q=%D8%A7%D9%84&f=false
> See page 224.
>

> This had a mixed RTL/LTR bibliography as well, but the numbers were all
> European digits:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=_yBTV4yHT7AC&pg=PT232&dq=%D8%A7%D9%84&lr=lang_ar&as_brr=3&cd=8#v=onepage&q=%D8%A7%D9%84&f=false
> See page 677.

Please note - page 703 - that the Latin references in the second example are
laid out strangely (in particular - fullstops appearing on the left). This
makes me suspect that the quirks of some word-processor might have had an
impact on the formatting decisions here, along with the editor's choices...

I wonder what the common practice is in magazines which regularly print
references with mixed directionality - e.g. Arabic scientific magazines.

  Best,
      Amit A.