Re: [charmod-norm] Definition of "transcoder"

--On Wednesday, February 03, 2016 19:00 -0800 aphillips
<notifications@github.com> wrote:

> My point in including the parenthetical "(generally bytes)" is
> that "code units" is a term of art that I didn't want to pause
> to explain. People familiar with encodings will instantly grok
> what I mean. But those who are not may need some guide post.
> The use of the word "generally" was meant to indicate exactly
> what you outline--the bytes (and here I mean octets, really)
> are not always the code unit in question, even if that's true
> for the most familiar encodings.
>
> I can drop the parenthetical, if you think it detracts from
> our purpose. Or I can explain code units. Thoughts?

I think there is a superficial explanation of "code unit" that
defines in in terms of the intrinsic number of bits associated
with a code point in the CCS that might serve the purpose better
than either a complete explanation of "code unit" or "generally
bytes".  Given the above, I understand why you did that, but the
problem is the large number of people who are not "familiar with
encodings" (to the point necessary for instantaneous grokking)
but who still have a clue or think they do.  For that
intermediate range, which might include a very large fraction of
the intended audience for the spec, "generally bytes" could be
very confusing.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by klensin
Please view or discuss this issue at