Re: [alreq] Drafting "Font and Typographical Considerations"

Hi Shervin,

Thank for your comments. See inline

On 5/3/16 09:55, Shervin Afshar wrote:

> I reviewed the draft for this section and have few comments:
>
>   * Naskh being "the standard script for the Arabic and Muslim
world"
>     is highly debatable;

Well, it's subject to debate. I said almost all Arabic and Muslim
world.
What I would like to say, is that Naskh type of script is the most
used
in schools, administration, books, etc. Perhaps because it is more
readable.
Anyway, it is a comment, thus removable.

>   * Kufi was not always the script for use in architecture;

Yes.

>   * it was used for Quran during Umayyads (661-749);
>   * It might be more relevant not to fall for Kufi vs. Naskh

It is rather Naskh vs. Kufi-like styles. There are other comparison
topics.

>   * and briefly mention the topics of two styles as /mugavvar wa
>     mudawar/ (curved and rounded) vs. /mabsūt wa mustagīm/
(elongated
>     and straight-angeled);

Those are also topics to consider. I'll look at those style in detail
and then mention them.

>   * Also, Ibn Muqla system of measurement of Arabic script is
concise
>     and useful and can be visualized in few illustrations; i.e. size
>     of Nokte, height of Alif, circle (Dairah);

OK.

>   * It's prefer to avoid using existing fonts for script samples and
>     use actual calligraphic examples;

I choosed to use my own samples (not to copy from elsewhere). Sure, it

doesn't represent all the calligraphic.

>   * Ta'liq and Nastaliq font samples look exactly the same;
>   * "Farissi" should be corrected to either "Farsi" or "Persian";
>   * "Kufi" script was not actually from Kufa.

Yes.

Thank you for your positive comments, I'll take them into account, and

welcome any other suggestions.

In fact, I started from some references, and then I found other
interesting reference thatclarify some points.

Talk to you soon.

Najib

--
GitHub Notification of comment by ntounsi
Please view or discuss this issue at