Re: Kitâb Al-Fihrist, by Muḥammad ibn Isḥāq Ibn al-Nadīm

On 12/17/15 09:17, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 04:58:04PM +0900, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>>> But here are a few parts I found interesting:
>>> And, listing LAM+ALEF "ligature" as a "letter" of the script. [p358]

Yes. But I also noticed in this listing  that before the LAM+ALEF,
letters "HEH" and "WAW" are  listed in the wrong order, WAW before HEH.

>> I'd guess that's just okay from a historical point of view, but given how
>> Unicode deals with LAM+ALEF, it's much better to call it a ligature in our
>> context.
> It used to be quite popular in elementary schools (at least in Egypt)

Also in Morocco.

> include LAM+ALEF before YEH as an independent letter of the alphabet,
> but I remember how many people (including my father) was strongly
> against it and considered it very wrong.

I remember (from my father too ;-) that in both letters listings:

the official (scholar) one:
ا ب ت ث ج ح خ د ذ ر ز س ش ص ض ط ظ ع غ ف ق ك ل م ن ه و ي
and the other one (most erudite?):
  أبجد هوز حطي كلمن صعفض قرست ثخذ ظغش

LAM+ALEF doesn't appear as a letter.

Regards,