Re: WebApps WG status for 13-Jan-2012 HCG call

On Friday, February 10, 2012, 1:55:00 PM, Daniel wrote:

DG> Le 10/02/12 13:14, Arthur Barstow a écrit :

>> Would one of the CSSWG reps please provide an update on when the CSSWG
>> will publish a PR of Media Queries?

DG> In short, as always with software and standards: when it's ready.
DG> The CSS MQ Test Suite needs to be republished and we wait for
DG> implementation reports by Mozilla, Opera and Apple:

DG>    http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20120207#l-480

To summarize from those logs (the minutes are not yet published) and to add a bit of commentary:

- there is a test suite and has been for some time. It is script based so very fast to run (one file).

- Some bugs were reported on that test suite, and have been fixed, so the test suite needs to be republished. Elika has the action to do so.

- Firefox currently passes all of the published test suite except for ten tests. Those are the ones with the bugs - Firefox was changed after the bugs were reported, but it needs to be run on the corrected test suite. It is then expected to get 100% pass.

- Opera (the beta build I tested at the meeting) has more failures, but apparently there is a yet-unreleased codebase which does much better. Under CSS WG rules, an implementation used to test CR must be publicly available (it will be) and must have been available for at least a month. I don't really agree with that last rule myself, but there we are).

- Microsoft also implements media queries. The IE10 preview has been available for more than a month.

So, when the test suite is republished and the results from implementors are in, depending on the number of failure, we might be able to request PR soon, or in a month, or even longer if there are more failures. We need two independent passes per test.

Art, I hope that communicates the current state of the media Queries spec.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG