Re: Deprecation of DOMAttrModified (Was: DOMActivate vs. Activation Behavior)

On Feb 14, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote (on 2/14/10 7:02 PM):
>> James, I know you know this but for the rest - this change will break
>> more than just screen readers.
>
> I'm a bit confused.  None of the events being considered for deprecation are currently supported in any version of Internet Explorer: not Mutation Events in general or DOMAttrModified in particular; not DOMActivate; and not DOMFocusIn or DOMFocusOut.
>
> Some of them are supported in Firefox, Opera, or WebKit, but not universally.  As far as we can tell, very little Web content uses these events.
>
> Unless there are implementations of these events in the AT UAs themselves, I don't quite understand what we would be breaking.  Can you expand on that, with some specific examples?

I'm not sure what Rich is referring to either. These things don't work yet, so my goal is to allow them to work someday (via DOMAttrModified or one of the other proposed mechanisms). Since there are no existing implementations, I can't see how this would 'break' anything.

Perhaps Rich is using the 'break' to mean that this will remove the ability to implement the device-independent approach at a later time. To that point, I'd agree that DOMAttrModified should not be deprecated until there is a suitable replacement, but I wouldn't use the term, 'breaking.'

Rich, either you may have misread our intention in the discussion, or there is something Doug and I missed in your explanation. If the latter, could you please clarify?

Cheers,
James