Re: Hydra Status

November 23 2016 11:57 PM, "Ruben Verborgh" <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be> wrote:
>> I think Slack is a
>> great communication tool that I would love to be able to use to
>> advance the progress of Hydra.
>
> I see that many people agree with this,
> given the popularity of Slack and Gitter;
> however, I myself have found it very hard
> to have structured discussions there,
> especially if one cannot be there full-time.
>
> The problem of instant communication
> is that so much of it gets lost.
> I was never a fan of IRC for that reason.
>
> I think Slack is great for day-to-day communication,
> but not for longer initiatives.
> Hence, I prefer GitHub issues, milestones,
> and the mailing list.

Definitely tools like Slack are best for ad-hoc discussions and quick questions. I do agree that any more permanent and structured discussion should belong to GitHub or email.

But I don't buy the argument that email threads offer that much more structure (over GitHub). Threads often go in weird directions and I got frequently lost in them. I also archive so that I don't have a ton of emails in my inbox. This makes me see only parts of conversations and search is not much easier either.

>>> – Set deadlines, milestones, deliverables
>>
>> I think this is the most important bit and I hope we can organise it
>> all on GitHub.
>
> +1
>
> I would really like a clean slate for this,
> or perhaps milestones to organize the existing issues.

Yes, one of immediate steps should be cleaning up existing issues and prioritizing them.