From: Lorenzo Moriondo [mailto:tunedconsulting@gmail.com]
Sent: 18 November 2016 13:27
To: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Cc: Hydra <public-hydra@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Hydra Status

I have good experience with data streams and microservices, beside REST APIs obviously. My focus is on data infrastructure more than data modeling, so please forgive me in advance if I write something too opinionated or not completely compliant to modeling/design approach.

My opinion about the state of the draft is that the top-down part of the job has been done. RDF is a huge standard but I have to modestly say that, as far as I understand, has been a little over-engineered for the purpose of research; as a Pythonist I appreciate JSON-LD and Fragments because they make things much more readable and allows access to RDF. As an RDF novice I can only suppose there is some way of "sub-setting" the RDF to encompass basic logic (Boolean? Math?) operations that could cover the vast majority of minimal usecases (is it basically what have been done as far as I understand?).
Apart these guessings on my side, we should think more functionally, in terms of operations more than classes compared to RDF (I would say with a joke: more Scala types-thinking and less Java classes-thinking; or from another point of view: take aside science for a while and embrace engineering) I suppose. HYDRA is meant to be used in the wild so it should be sensitive to trends in different industry-level ecosystems.

@Adam and @Graham: if you are interested I can start a G document with the simple use case I have ready. It's a randomly generated database of IoT devices. So we can all start commenting and adding pieces to that.
The usage of the API in the beginning can be just serving plain objects and allow properties comparisons and basic math operations on these properties to train the API from the very basics. Classes are already defined using the basic JSON-LD features and linked to well-know RDF repositories, so everybody can start following. In parallel the RDF experts can QA and test and propose features.

If we all have a little consensus in proceeding this way, I start writing the document and then share the link. Please cast your opinion.

As Markus pointed, the direction is focusing on IoT networks, I think communication and higher level applications will come naturally afterwards.

Thanks to everybody for your attention. I am really proud of contributing to this effort.

Lorenzo Moriondo, from mobile
https://it.linkedin.com/in/lorenzomoriondo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you by Digirati Limited. This is a UK limited company, registration number SC235053 The information in this e-mail (which includes any files transmitted with it) is confidential and may also be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. It is not to be relied upon by any person other than the addressee except with our prior written approval. If no such approval is given, we will not accept any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from acting, on such information. Unauthorized recipients are required to maintain confidentiality. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the originator immediately, destroy any copies and delete it from your computer system. The unauthorized use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you.

Digirati Limited, Unit G 4, The Hub, 70 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1EA | Dunstan House, 14A St Cross St London, EC1N 8XA
Telephone +44 (0)845 643 4370: website: www.digirati.com