RE: Hydra compared with JSON API, other specifications

Hi Paul,

And welcome on the list

On Monday, January 04, 2016 1:14 PM, Paul Mackay wrote:
> I’m iterating on a couple of API projects and have been reviewing the
> status of current API specification projects. JSON API
> (http://www.cerebris.com/blog/2015/06/04/jsonapi-1-0/) reached v1.0
> earlier this year and is more comprehensive than HAL (see
> http://jsonapi.org/faq/). I suspect Hydra could be even more flexible
> and comprehensive in terms of defining an API.

I hope so :-)

> However within the JSON API community that spec is being
> promoted as an anti-bikeshedding tool (avoid lots of debate about small
> issues) and yet getting to 1.0 involved a lot of bikeshedding!

I guess that's unavoidable.

> Has there been any comparisons between JSON API and Hydra, and what is
> behind the design choices of Hydra?

No, not really. They follow a quite different strategy. JSON API has been built for CRUD-style APIs that include a few hyperlinks. Hydra will provide a set of generic hypermedia controls.

> I suppose a similar FAQ for Hydra
> along the lines of why it goes beyond other API framework
> specifications would be great :)

Sure, we (well, at least me) are quite resource constrained and thus I think it makes more sense to focus on pushing the spec forward than investing time in writing FAQs etc. I'm more than happy, however, to review the doc if you or anyone else wants to give it a shot.