RE: Relationship between filter properties and hydra:supportedProperty (was Re: Filters as views (ISSUE-45))

On 11 Feb 2016 at 10:51, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
> February 10 2016 11:11 PM, "Markus Lanthaler" wrote:

>> I think we do want to define filters in such a way that they do directly correspond to the
>> underlying data.
>>

> I find this dangerous, because in the end Hydra filters would have to work like OData. Also
> there seems to be an overlap with Triple Pattern Fragments.

Of course, Triple Pattern Fragments are based on Hydra so that's by design.

> Both cases assume the client knows a lot about the server-side data structured.

Sure. But we have mechanisms to tell a client anything it needs to know.

> And again, what if the server actually stores non-RDF data and RDF is used only for
> resource representations?

That makes no difference. It's trivial to implement that for a traditional SQL or a NoSQL database.

> The above makes no sense in such case and I think it will be a
> mistake to keep such assumption. Such decoupling is a cornerstone on REST.

Why does the above make "no sense in such case"? I completely agree that nothing in Hydra should dictate how the backend is implemented.