RE: Relationship between filter properties and hydra:supportedProperty (was Re: Filters as views (ISSUE-45))

On 10 Feb 2016 at 16:41, Maxim Kolchin wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2016 at 14:03, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
>> I'm not sure I understand correctly, but I'd point out that the filter doesn't
>> necessarily have to directly correspond to you underlying data.

I think we do want to define filters in such a way that they do directly correspond to the underlying data.

>> February 10 2016 1:16 PM, "Maxim Kolchin" <kolchinmax@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In example, the location of a sensor, in the simplest case I can have
>>> geo:lat and geo:long attached directly to a sensor's resource, but
>>> what if I have the following use case:
>>>
>>> <> a apidoc:Sensor ;
>>> geo:location [
>>> a geo:Point ;
>>> geo:lat "..." ;
>>> geo:long "..."
>>> ] .
>>>
>>> I now I want to have a filter which should return apidoc:Sensor
>>> instances if they fall in a circle defined by the coordinates of the
>>> center and the length of its radius. As I understand such filter
>>> should consist of 3 properties, e.g. schema:geoRadius, schema:latitude
>>> and schema:longitude.

There are a couple of options:
  - make filter specifications more expressive to support such things (that would quickly become quite complex)
  - do a rough query server side and refine it locally
  - define an operation with those semantics
  - introduce new resources (sub-collections; not practical in all cases)
  - ... probably a few more

HTH,