RE: Filters as views (ISSUE-45)

On 9 Feb 2016 at 12:47, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:

>> Yeah, I find that a bit confusing as well but in order to make this
>> unambiguous to a machine we need them I guess.
>
> Do we? Please exaplain

My previous mail should hopefully explain my thinking (number of items on the page vs. overall)

>> How would you communicate to a client then that the response was not
>> only filtered, but that the server also decided to paginate it?
>
> Does it matter to the client? The client should only care that there are more pages (linked)
> and how to possibly construct different views.

That's a good point. I have to think a bit more about it but probably you are right. And the fact that there are more pages actually tells that a client already.

>> We can certainly split it into two properties but I'm not sure that
>> would buy us much. What advantages would you see?
>
> As a client I wouldn't have to inspect each individual element of 'view' to determine
> whether it's a View or a ViewTemplate. Simple as that, Separation of Concerns, and thus
> simpler client implementation.

You need to check the input anyway, right? But it would make clients that look specifically for views/view templates more efficient as they wouldn't need to filter a set containing both. I'm a bit on the fence on what to optimize for here. The other thing in the back of my mind is the comparison to links/templated links. I wouldn't want to introduce additional link relationship types (properties) in that case either.