RE: Non-semantic client libraries? : Hydra for aggregate roots, pagination and collection filtering

On 15 Aug 2016 at 09:52, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
> On 2016-08-15 01:32, p_j_anderson@volny.cz wrote:
>> By semantic view, I mean when the data is treated as semantic (having
>> a context) within the client code - i.e. JSON-LD or similar
>> processing is also done outside the marshalling and unmarshalling of
>> the API calls, in the application itself. I've noticed that there are
>> some (mainly?) semantic web people interested, who presumably have
>> semantic applications, but does Hydra stand purely as an API
>> technology too, outside semantic applications, interesting for API
>> and integration people?
>
> This is probably down too client implementation. I have started
> implementing Heracles [1] in a way that hopefully will remove the
> requirement for JSON-LD processing in application code. The only side
> effect of Hydra (or actually RDF) will be the necessity of using URIs
> for identification of links, operations, contracts, etc.
>
> All intricacies of Hydra/RDF will be hidden behind the client library
> API. The client library manipulates data on triple level but ideally it
> should not leak to the consumer code.

+1. Client developers should only need to somehow map their internal representation to an external, shared vocabulary... similar to how database records (internal repr.) are mapped to HTML (shared vocabulary)

>> I know that Hydra can be used for implementing performant,
>> SPARQL-type queries as a lower level API (the fragments side of
>> things). I'm not sure what is more important in the vision -
>> fragments, or Hydra as a general API enabler - and whether it is
>> mainly for semantic applications or for general integration too.
>
> I wouldn't say either is more important. Hydra enables multiple paths by
> providing enough metadata about API endpoints. It's up to the client how
> it uses that information.

Linked Data Fragments are built on top of Hydra. They very elegantly solve an interesting problem by doing so. Obviously, you can also use Hydra without LDF.