Re: Question about Triple Pattern Fragment (TPF) and hydra:filter

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be> wrote:
> Hi Wasin,
>
>> This is my first email to HYDRA community.
>
> Welcome!

Thank you from your fast reply!

>> From what I known, hydra:filter [1] is the vocabulary that is used to query members of collection.
>> Linked Data Fragment (LDF) [2] is more general concept that used to query any triples depend on the resource that attract to.
>> Triple Pattern Fragment (TPF) [3] is implementation of LDF, which is based on HYDRA vocabulary.
>
> Correction to the last one: TPF defines a specific kind of LDFs,
> but it is not a concrete (= software) implementation.

You're right.

>> In the example of TPF [3], it is used against dataset.
>> But I want to use TPF with hydra:Collection.
>> Therefore, i replace the hydra:search with hydra:filter and attract them to the collection (i.e., <http://example.org/collection>)
>> The details of my designed API show as below.
>
> I'm not sure I follow the reasoning.
> The difference between hydra:filter and hydra:search
> is not related to the difference between collection and dataset.

>From what i understand, hydra:search is used in more general case.
It can attach to any resource.
Therefore, it doesn't define the scope of searching.
It depends on the service implementation.
On the other hand, hydra:filter is used only on hydra:Collection [1].
hydra:filter is used to filter the collection's member.
Therefore, I think that using more specific vocabulary is suitable
more than general vocabulary.

Another reason is that I don't really understand the usage of hydra:search.
May be it can place on entry-point.
To allow client to search certain resource on the service.
May be it used for extensibility purpose.
Since it allow other property, which have similar meaning to be its
sub-property such as hydra:filter [1].

These are my reasons for choosing hydra:filter.
However, it seems the hydra:filter is still not official right?
So, just use hydra:search. It is still OK, i think.

[1] https://github.com/HydraCG/Specifications/issues/45

Best regards,
Wasin