RE: Link relation type to link to discover LDP

On 23 Jun 2015 at 13:05, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>> Strictly speaking it is not necessary but obviously it makes certain
queries
>> more efficient. Is that increased efficiency necessary or can we move
this
>> "feature" to the client? In other words, can we replace
>>
>>   ?x foaf:knows ?x
>> queries with
>>
>>    __ foaf:knows __
>> ___ is a completely arbitrary value, i.e., the server returns all triples
>> that contain foaf:knows in the predicate position.
>
> Well, in the worst case it could be very inefficient,
> i.e., there could be 5,000,000,000 knows relations
> but no person who knows themselves.

Agreed.

> But I think this is orthogonal to query execution:
> what is done with the interface is not as relevant here,
> since query execution is only one of the possible alternatives.
>
> The question is about the interface itself: how expressive should it be?
> If we say "triple patterns", I believe we should really go for triple
patterns.
> It would be a pity we could not go there because the interface doesn't
allow it.

Let's separate this issue into two: the value space of
VariableRepresentation and TPF interface.

>> RDF terms have no notion of placeholders or variables.
>
> Yes, but they are a quite universal concept in IT in general.
>
> Actually, we could restate the pattern as
>     _:x foaf:knows _:x
> and then we only use RDF terms.
>
> Would that be acceptable?

Haven't thought about that. But you are right, that should work.... and I
think I would prefer that.

Do you see any problems with going down that route?