RE: forthcoming new feature specs for LDF

On 8 Jul 2015 at 21:55, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>>> That's right; and in our opinion, it is much more meaningful to define
such features
>>> then to define all "interesting" combinations up front,
>>> because we don't know which features a server would like to combine.
>>
>> This part worries me a bit but let's see how it turns out.
>
> I'll take that as a "you can start rolling"? ;-)

Yes, of course :-)

> We would create spec stubs one of the following days then,
> because we'd include them in the camera-ready versions of the ISWC papers.

I assume you would like to create stable URLs in that paper. What do you
propose?

    http://www.hydra-cg.com/spec/latest/...?

Or would you just reference

   http://www.hydra-cg.com/spec/latest/linked-data-fragments/

or something else?

>>> I don't really follow, why would the application on top of the client be
adapted?

>> If you know that servers never support FILTER REGEX(?literal, "abc")
>> efficiently, you wouldn't build an application that executes the query
>> above. If you do happen to develop against a server which does and then
>> later move to a server which doesn't, your app basically breaks as it
would
>> need to retrieve every single triple and then execute the regex locally.
For
>> developers not knowing the whole stack in detail that might be very
>> surprising and hard to debug.
>
> The client could actually just say that:
> "estimated query cost: 12,000 requests".
> For the other server, it would say:
> "substring search interface found, estimated cost: 5 requests".

Fair enough. Just let's make sure we clearly communicate this in the spec.