RE: Questions about new collection design

On 23 Jan 2015 at 10:16, Dietrich Schulten wrote:
> some questions about the new collection design.
>
> {
>    "@id": "/alice",
>    "collection": {
>      "@id": "/alice/friends",
>      "@type": "Collection",
>      "manages": {
>        "property": "schema:knows",
>        "subject": "/alice"
>      }
>    }
> }
>

> 1. [...]

We already discussed 1 yesterday

> 2. As I read the example, the actual list of friends is a separate
> resource,

Correct

No, it always is a Collection. You explicitly declared it as one ("@type": "Collection")

> We could also embed the members (Alice's friends).

Right

> But this poses the more general
> question: how does the client decide whether it should dereference to
> get the actual friends

If it is interested in finding the friends it would do that. A Hydra client not only looks for schema:knows on /alice but also tries to find a hydra:collection on /alice which manages /alice schema:knows

> (or for object properties, the actual object).

We have a separate discussion about that I guess (ISSUE-91)

> Checking for the :member property or any sub-properties that are
> expected for an object to see if another GET is needed seems weird.

Why?