    {
      "@id": "/alice/friends",
      "@type": "Collection",
      "manages": {
         "subject": "http://example.com/alice#person",
        "predicate": "foaf:knows"
      }
      "search" : ... an iritemplate,
      "operation" : ... supportedOperations on /alice/friends
    }
  ]
}

GET /alice/friends
Link:

[
  {
    "@id": "http://example.com/bob#person",
    "@reverse": {
      "foaf:knows": "http://example.com/alice#person"
    }
  },
  {
    "@id": "http://example.com/linda#person",
    "@reverse": {
      "foaf:knows": "http://example.com/alice#person"
]

Point is to keep your description-based approach while also not having to
deal with foaf:knows pointing to a document rather than a person. Next step
in my tinkering is trying to give a URI to the collection's description.

--

Jacopo Scazzosi
Developer