Re: query language

hello ruben.

On 2014-09-10, 8:49 , Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>>> What functionality would this offer that the current hypermedia controls in the Core Vocabulary do not?
>> I cannot say, since I don't have it.
> This would probably be the first thing to work out then.
> What functionality do you need that is not currently offered?

speaking for our motivation to create
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-link-desc-01, we needed a way to
represent data types and value ranges for template parameters. if you
want to declaratively represent forms, then that's necessary.

for example, when i have a template parameter that's representing the
"page number" that i can use when accessing a collection, then i want to
know that this parameter is an integer, and i also want to know that i
can access pages 1 to 42. only if this is represented i can build random
access to pages and know which ones i can access.

>> It would probably result a better
>> URI templating mechanism and on service side an automatic URI parsing mechanism.
> Define "better", i.e., in what regard would it be better?
>  From what I see, it would add support for inequality expressions and sorting.

again, just speaking for our use case: we had no specific interest in
RQLish things because it's just one specific way in which URI can be
constructed (with specific features and constraints). from the link
description point of view, a RQL query would just be one possible data
type of a template variable (just like the other URI query languages
that were proposed at some point in time, such as FIQL).

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |