RE: Enquiry

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:02 PM, Sindre Njøsen wrote:
> I'm actually working on this issue for my masterthesis. My goal is to
> create a module for Drupal 8 that can serialize drupal entities into
> json-ld and provide hypermediasupport using the Hydra Core vocabulary.
> It has been a slow process due to bugs and lacking documentation, but
> Im hoping to publish something that actually works in December.

Wow, that's fantastic news Sindre! I'm really excited about this. Please let
us know if you have any questions or if anything is missing in Hydra (or if
something seems more complex than it should be).

Please keep us posted about your interesting work

Have a nice weekend,
Markus

> - Sindre Njøsen (sindre@sindrenj..net)
>
> From: markus.lanthaler@gmx.net
> To: public-hydra@w3.org
> CC: lewis.james@gmail.com; patrick.roelli@gmail.com; matslats@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:08:43 +0200
> Subject: RE: Enquiry
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> And welcome to the list.
>

> On Friday, October 17, 2014 11:45 PM, Matthew Slater wrote:
> > I expect its not too difficult to build a db and expose lots of content
> > types and fields with some kind of security wrapper. But at the moment
> > all the data is defined and managed in Drupal.
> > The Drupal Services module exposes content using Drupal's complex
> > internal data structures which are not intuitive to external
> > applications.
> > So we need to define and publish and implement a rest API just for this
> > data set. I was wondering if there was an easier way.
>
> I'm not too familiar with the current state of Drupal but wouldn't it be
possible to create a "View" and add a "REST export"? Alternatively,
implementing a specialized serializer might work as well I guess.

> > What I would ideally like is a standard way for 3rd party application
> > to query my data structure, to find out what content types and fields
> > are available, and from that information to generate its own content
> > displays, its own content editing form, so that the data held on a
> > central server can be managed by many apps, not just Drupal.
>
> This goes a bit in the direction of decoupledcms.org Maybe you can
leverage some of their work!?

> > I don't want to have to change the code every time somebody changes the
> > data structure.
> > Seems such a generic requirement. Is it possible the code exists to
> > this, server-side and even app side?
>
> Btw. are you talking about the upcoming Drupal 8 or an older version? I
think Drupal 8 provides much more than older versions in this regard and it
is also much simpler to extend/tweak it as you need. Have a look at the Web
Services and Context Core Initiative (WSCCI) [1] to get started.