Re: Hydra scope

On 05/12/2014 04:58 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> As you know, that's in fact one of the first issues I raised:
>
>    https://github.com/HydraCG/Specifications/issues/2
>
> ... but so far you are the first one to mention this. The reason it is called Operation is because in the end it describes a HTTP operations (or requests). I have no strong opinion on this and would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

Looking to the HTTP spec, there is no thing called "HTTP Operation"; the
spec speaks about methods (GET, PUT, POST...).
I would reserve this term for HTTP in our context. This leaves action
and operation as possible candidates.
I agree that operation sounds RPCish but you could also argue that
method sound OOPish.
I still favor operation over HTTP because it is a plastic term in
computer science while
action is not used in the domain of distributed systems -- see the
corresponding Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation

My mental model about this is, exemplified with a user registration.
Say a new account is registered  by a HTTP POST with certain data.

So the caller conducts a _create operation_ using the HTTP POST method.
The action is the event that happened at the point in time when he
conducted
the operation. The operation is not a single point in time, it has a
start and an end.

Just my 50 cent...