RE: Getting started with Hydra

Hi Markus

> On March 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > The first thing we are looking at is how to provide a web service for
> > vehicle registration data. The current web service is available as
> > OData [2] and we want to basically map this to JSON-LD and provide an
> > RDF vocabulary to define all the properties, etc. I'm currently
> > working on the vocabulary and trying out writing it directly in JSON-
> > LD just for the giggles [3].
>
> I've had a glance at your vocabulary definition in JSON-LD. It looks good to
> me but I would strongly suggest to change the IRIs of the various concepts to
> use English terms instead of Dutch ones. So instead of rdvw:Voertuig I'd use
> rdvw:Vehicle. This would make the vocabulary more accessible to people outside
> the Netherlands and increase the likelihood of reuse. Just as in programming,
> it's a best practice to use English identifiers.
>
> Also, have you checked (I haven't) whether such a vocabulary already exists?

Using English terms as IRIs makes sense, I'll be able to make a mapping to the
Dutch terms used in the existing JSON in the context document.

I did have a look around for other vocabularies and found a few properties used
in DBpedia and the Vehicle Sales Ontology (vso:) ontology that extends
GoodRelations.
Both of these partially cover the subject area, but in many places the semantics
only *sort of* match.

In this case I decided to make a new vocabulary as then I can include all the
original definitions in Dutch and create mappings to other vocabularies using
rdfs:subPropertyOf etc. where relevant/possible.
Right now it does not make sense to shoehorn the data into another vocabulary as
one goal is to show how we can add context/meaning to the existing data without
changing the structure.

Cheers,
John