Re: Define/change the range of "supportedProperties" (ISSUE-37)

On 03/03/2014 05:22 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:26 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>>> Actually, I like "attribute" a lot.
>>> It's neutral. It conveys the intended meaning.
>> attribute
>> noun |ˈatrəˌbyo͞ot|
>> 2 [Computing] a piece of information that determines the properties
>> of a field or tag in a database or a string of characters in a display.
>>
>> Note how it explicitly says "determines the properties".
>> That's exactly what we want to do.
> I read that slightly different. IMO an attribute defines whether a specific field in a database is e.g. an autoincrement field. The read-only flag in SupportedProperty is an attribute of the property that is being described. It's a fuzzy matter, but I think I personally wouldn't name a property supported by a class an attribute. In OOP programming, a class attribute would be whether it is static, final, etc.
>
> Phil, why is naming always so damn difficult!? :-)
I have to agree with your interpretation of the description from the
oxford dictionary [1] and from wikipedia [2] which match.
This brings us back to `property` but this collides with Ruben's
objection regarding the fact that it is not really a property.

However, I just re-evauated this and meanwhile think that Ruben had a
rather technical view on this
which only SemWeb experts might have.
Ruben points out that one might get the impression that a
`hydra:supportedProperty` is an `rdf:Property`
but in fact it is only a pointer to such a thing (if I understood
correctly).
 From a vocabulary user's point of view on the other hand I think he
would not
think about this in the first place. Hydra is a vocab to describe APIs
and a Class is one
of the offered concepts. This concepts allows to describe properties
supported by this class
and thus corresponding resources. I think that's a comprehensible story.
So from this point of view I think "supportedProperty" is the best name
I can think of.

[1]
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/es/definicion/ingles_americano/attribute
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribute_%28computing%29