Re: My opinion about hydra vocabulary

On 6/4/14 5:15 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 04, 2014 10:43 AM, László Lajos Jánszky wrote:
>> >Do you intend to describe every REST service with Hydra, or just a
>> >specific implementation of REST services?
> Not sure what you mean by "describe every REST service". How could it? It would need to know about "every REST service", right? Hydra describes a specific implementation.
>

>> >For example should a Hydra REST service accept all of these requests
>> >or just a single one of them?
>> >  - PATCH "/users/123" {firstName: "John", secondName: "Smith"}
>> >  - PATCH "/users/123" {name: "John Smith"}
>> >  - PATCH "/users/123" {givenName: "John", familyName: "Smith"}
>> >  - PATCH "/users/123" {name: {first: "John", second: "Smith"}}
> How could I answer this question? I know nothing about the service. Hydra just describes what can be done how. It doesn't prescribe what must/must not be done.

Laszlo,

The goal of Hydra is to describe the nature (classes and properties) of
operations used to perform tasks (routines, jobs etc..) via RESTful
interactions, in a given situation.

Actual descriptions of these operations are then constructed using
instances of the classes and properties that Hydra describes, for a
given situation.

What you *sort of* outline above is a situation involving the use of the
HTTP PATCH method, a URL, and some data (somewhat structured).

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO