RE: 404 Re: Comments on the Triple Patterns Fragments draft

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:33:58 -0400
To: <public-hydra@w3.org>
Since everything else has already been discussed, I'll reply to the only
"open question":

On 30 Jul 2014 at 08:29, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> 3) With "empty => 404", triple pattern fragments
>     can be implemented by a simple file server.
[...]
> d) server MUST NOT return 404 if the fragment is empty
[...]
> Case 3 works with options a, b, c, but not d.

Case 3 works just fine even if you return a 200 instead of a 404. In fact,
that is very frequently used when implementing web apps. In Apache, e.g.,
you can achieve it with the following directives:

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^.*$ /empty_result.jsonld [L]

HTH,
Markus