Re: 404 Re: Comments on the Triple Patterns Fragments draft

Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> I think the core problem I have with this equation is that it is more
> aligned with the Closed World Assumption than with the Open one.

Well, it depends on your interpretation: 404 always was "we can't find it
right now", and you shouldn't interprete that to mean "we know that this
doesn't exist". The only way you can make a similar statement is 410, which
is "it has been here in the past, but now, it really isn't".

Me, I'm +1 on SHOULD respond 404 on empty set. Sounds useful to me.

> But on the other hand, it is my opinion that the traditional SPARQL
> philosophy ignores the open-world assumption too much indeed.
> How meaningful are COUNT and NOT in an open world?
> How meaningful is a finite resultset?
> But that's a different story altogether :-)

Hey, stop dissing SPARQL! :-) SPARQL is very conscious that aggregates and
negation imply a closed world assumption. And that's why it didn't make it
to SPARQL 1.0. People needed it, and implemented it, so it was an obvious
thing to do for 1.1, still being conscious it implies closed world.

Cheers,

Kjetil