Re: Comments on the Triple Patterns Fragments draft

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:42:53 +0200
Cc: public-hydra@w3.org, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Hi Erik and Markus,

> i think we are in violent agreement here. *if* non-HTTP URIs are showing up, then maybe the client is out of luck, or maybe there's another piece of information somewhere that says how to use the controls with evenbetterthanHTTP: URIs.

In theory, we could make the spec (almost) independent of a protocol.
The most important HTTP-specific things are:
- 404 if the fragment (page) is empty
- 404 if the selector is invalid (i.e. literal as subject)

However, we should also ensure that the spec is implementable.
Concretely, I have received an e-mail from somebody that said
there's insufficient information in the spec to implement a server,
while I am sure everything is in place.
However, non-experts perhaps expect to see much more HTTP stuff,
such as for example in the SPARQL protocol spec.

Perhaps a non-normative section about this
could be really helpful to such implementers,
or maybe a separate note with a more step-by-step process
(but that'd another document to maintain,
 and how purposeful is the spec then?)

Best,