Re: Comments on the Triple Patterns Fragments draft

Ruben,

On Monday 21 July 2014 15:15:32 Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> [...]
> > 4) As I was implementing LDF, I found that if I have a { ?s ?p ?o . }
> > pattern, i.e. all variables, I would much rather point the user at a data
> > dump.
>
> You're free to do that.
> But why make this a special case?
> Actually, that fragment *is* simply the data dump.
>
> > My plan was to just throw a 400 in the first release, but subsequently put
> > in a Location header that points to the data dump. A redirect might be
> > more appropriate.
>
> Exactly my thoughts; just a redirect would be nice.
> But then again, is this case so bad?
>
> Mostly, ?s ?p ?o will be asked for the metadata (or for the controls!);
> just providing the first 100 triples and no paging could also be fine.
> (Clients simply won't be able to solve * queries then.)

I would strongly advise against doing the latter. My understanding of the
"contract" provided with TPFs is that they enable a client to get _all_
triples from the dataset that match the given triple pattern (either by
iterating over the pages or by obtaining a single document if paging is not
supported by the server). This contract is essential to provide guarantees
w.r.t. soundness and completeness of query results.

Best,
Olaf