Re: Call for consensus on defining IRI template expansion (ISSUE-30)

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:54:40 +0200
Cc: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>, Tomasz Pluskiewicz <tomasz@t-code.pl>
To: "public-hydra@w3.org" <public-hydra@w3.org>
> Additionally, we will add a flag, i.e., a property whose value is a boolean,
> hydra:expandedRepresentation to IriTemplateMapping

Instead of the flag, I would propose an extensible attribute:

    _:x hydra:valueRepresentation hydra:ExpandedRepresentation.

with

    _:x hydra:valueRepresentation hydra:ValueRepresentation.

being the default.

This allows to define other types if necessary for other use cases;
right now, with the boolean attribute, we'd really enforce very specific interfaces.

>   - the datatype xsd:string is always omitted

SHOULD be omitted, I'd say

>  - datatypes are added using ^ (just one) and then the URL without
>    enclosing it in <>

I strongly suggested, as Gregg has said, to stick to two of then: ^^.
Just because of convention in Turtle (They're the ones
that should have decided to only use one.)

> Regarding encoding of values I think we should be as strict and simple
> as possible and reuse standards:
>
> 1. Accept only absolute URIs (no angle brackets)
> 2. Take any value as-is and apply standard encoding

That doesn't allow us to differentiate when necessary.

Note that there might be several ways to encode values;
one might be simple as you say, the other might be more complex.

> And I'm not sure that language tags and typed literals are even
> necessary here. I would personally be using an operation with some RDF
> body if I wanted to transmit such payload.

Then you exclude GET requests.

Best,