RE: Express "go to specific page" for a collection

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 23:48:58 +0200
To: <public-hydra@w3.org>
On 10 Jul 2014 at 14:43, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> On 10 Jul 2014 at 09:45, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
>>> Unlike next/prev page, which Hydra defines out of the box, there
>>> probably won't be a goToSpecificPage property, because it requires the
>>> use of a IriTemplate.
>>
>> Why is that bad? The "search" property also requires a IriTemplate.
>> What we need to discuss is whether this feature is "popular enough" to
>> be included in the core vocabulary.
>>

> I mean that in itself this property is incomplete. For real-world use
> you need to create a subproperty and define an actual template and

Why do you need to create a subproperty. Let's assume we introduce two new properties: pageTemplate and pageNumber. This allows a client to construct direct links to specific pages of a collection without any additional knowledge.

> mappings, right? And they will be specific to that on use case. But on

I think such a feature would be quite generic. The question is whether jumping to a specific page is required by enough applications to justify the inclusion of this feature directly into Hydra.

> second though I see that such base template proeprties for common
> relations do have their place.
>
> I think the question is how much benefit is there for the client? What

Exactly. That's the key question.

> will the client gain knowing that a given property, say
> soccerApi:search, is subproperty of hydra:search? Or the hypothetical
> hydra:goToSpecificPage?

By knowing that it is a subproperty, it can try to fall back to Hydra if it doesn't understand that soccerApi vocabulary. I think the question should rather be why you want to introduce a subproperty.