RE: Specifying operations for instances

Wow - this sentence was a huge light-bulb moment for me :) ! I simply never thought of the API documentation in that way, and checking the Hydra specification again, I can't find any direct explicit references to such an interpretation.

I think the fundamental reason why this never occurred to me was simply because of my long history of working with API's in the traditional sense. By that I mean working with '#include <...>' header files in C and C++, and then using the keyword 'interface' in Java and C# (and the general guidance to 'always program to interfaces'), and then using IDL in CORBA to define my APIs, and then using WSDL to do likewise for WS-*. In every single example of developing or using an 'API' throughout my entire career I've always been forced to work with a single *static* representation of an 'interface'.

I think this is the first time I've come across the concept of the API description itself being so dynamic [1], so dynamic in fact that potentially each and every consumer of that API might see a completely different representation of it at runtime!  I think that's a big paradigm shift for developers - but I totally agree with the premise.

So it leads me to think that simply calling this the 'API Documentation' is in fact a very misleading misnomer, given the automatic association any experienced developer (like me) will have between an API and some static description (in fact, in my mind 'API' almost seems to *mandate* a large degree of static-ness!).

Instead I really like the idea of expressly describing Hydra as a vocabulary for describing 'Dynamic Application Programming Interfaces' - i.e. a DAPI, and *not* an API (nor a 'Dynamic API', see [1]). This seems like an opportunity to introduce a new acronym (DAPI) to try to very explicitly and clearly express the fundamental difference between traditional APIs based on the Closed World Assumption, and DAPIs based on the Open World Assumption...

[1] I have come across people referring to 'Dynamic APIs' in the sense of totally generic interfaces (what I still call 'void *func(void *);' from my C programming days, or I guess 'Object func(Object o);' nowadays for Java). But those interfaces were always still 'static' in the sense that their descriptions never changed (i.e. they always remain of the form 'void *func(void *)') - but they are considered dynamic in that they simply allow 'anything' to pass into the interface as input, and 'anything' to come out as ouput.

> > I know a resource instance can always reject a request at runtime for
> > 'Special Discounts' if the user is not 'Privileged' (and I know we
> > have the open-world assumption to deal with here!), but I think like
> > Tomasz I was kinda thinking of a UI that could be a bit friendlier
> > than always offering the user every possible operation, but then
> > returning errors to them when they attempt operations that the
> > server-side probably knows already that they can't actually perform
>
> There are multiple ways to achieve that:
>   - just use inline operations
>   - use inline operations for things that vary by user/instance/etc.
>   - serve different API documentations for different users
>   - use multiple classes and use them accordingly (Comment,
> RemovableComment)

Yep - plenty of avenues there alright. I get it now!