Re: ISSUE-56: Date ranges / intervals for LDF

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 09:34:40 +0200
To: public-linked-data-fragments@w3.org
Hi Andreas,

> One approach I have had in mind would split a date range 2012-03-30  2014-05-22 into several segments which can be cached:
> 2012-10-30 (whole day)
> 2012-10-31
> 2012-11 (whole month)

That seems like a very good idea indeed, and it brings us to something broader.

There'e essentially two things that we could do:
1) Define a new Linked Data Fragments type [1],
    which allows to select objects of type date by day/month/year.

2) Define something like LDF features or traits.
    i.e., define "support for granular date selection" as a feature,
    and an LDF server dynamically indicates (with hypermedia controls)
    that it supports date-based selection.

Option 2) has a lot of potential in my view,
because then a server can combine different features/traits,
such as full-tex search and date search.

However, it is also the option that involves most work to implement:
- a way to describe features
- a way for clients to discover and use those features

Best,

Ruben

[1] http://www.hydra-cg.com/spec/latest/linked-data-fragments/#dfn-linked-data-fragment-type