RE: W3C standardization process

Hi James,

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:20 PM, James Langley wrote:
> Now that JSON-LD has been accepted as a W3C standard, are there
> aspirations for Hydra to also become a W3C standard?

Definitely!

That being said, I consider it much less important for a vocabulary to be
standardized by a standardization organization such as W3C than for a data
format like JSON-LD. Just look at Schema.org (btw., there's a draft [1] of
how an integration of a subset of Hydra into Schema.org could look like).
The most important thing at the moment is, IMO, to finalize the design and
build tooling around it.

> If so, what rough timeframe do you anticipate this taking in?
> 6-12 months, 2-5 years, 10 years?

Standardization is typically very slow so I would say it is in the 2-5 years
timeframe.

Just out of curiosity: is there something that stops you using Hydra if it
isn't a W3C standard? Or was your question just driven by curiosity like
mine? :-)

[1] http://www.hydra-cg.com/spec/latest/schema.org/