Re: An updated draft of the schema.org/Action proposal

On 2/11/14 6:13 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> Forwarding Kinsgley's response for the sake of completeness.
>
> I don't have anything to add other than that I disagree that, e.g., a
> ebay://xyz URL is a *web* service.
ebay://yxz is a URL. It isn't a *web* service. It's an identifier that
denotes something using the "ebay:" scheme.

A Web Service (aka network accessible App) could provide the ability to
perform operations on data based using an ebay://yxz URI.

>   It can, by definition, not be accessed by
> HTTP(S). Thus, it falls outside *my* definition of a *web* resource and
> consequently does not represent a web service.

Please digest my comments above. URIs denote things. Unlike the desktop
dominated by Web Browsers, there are mobile platforms that work with a
variety of URI schemes. They even allow registration of custom schemes.

> Since the quoted "app resource"
> below was just an explanatory term (in quotes), I don't think we need to
> discuss this further.

At this point the labels don't really matter that much. All that really
matters are the semantics of the vocabulary under construction. I am
still perceiving this vocabulary as a WSDL like solution that leverages
RDF en route to bringing data (resource) operations, actions, into the
mix, RESTfully.

There can be a kind of entity that exhibits all of the characteristics
required for discovery and comprehension of methods (and their call
patterns) in regards to manipulating data state transitions, across
endpoints on a network. We just need to be clear that we are trying to
describe a service, and more than likely, one that works with the
"http:" scheme.

Anyway, as I said, we can close this matter (accurately) and move on
since labels are quite secondary at this point in the process :-)

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1bD2eZs -- Identifier .
[2] http://bit.ly/1elU7Rh -- URI.

Kingsley