Re: More Thoughts on Links and Operation Subclasses

On 2/4/14 10:53 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 04, 2014 4:36 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 2/4/14 9:24 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>> What I was trying to understand is how the serialization format is
> relevant
>>> to the fact that return type of a hydra:Operation has to be considered
> as a
>>> hint rather than a contract. Sorry, I still can see it.
>> That's the problem.
>>
>> Hold the discussion using TURTLE examples, then others will actually
>> hone in (much quicker) into the matters at hand.
>>
>> What is a *hint* ?
> The hydra:returns property of a hydra:Operation is a hint in the sense that
> it just describes the most likely response from the server. It is not a
> strict contract.

You see, you are responding to my comment, literally. I was asking about
the semantics of relation that's to be construed as a *hint*. Syntax vs
Semantics.

>   Developers have to expect to get other things back and
> handle it appropriately by evaluating the response instead of just relying
> on the hydra:returns *hint*.

Vocabularies are not stcitly for developers, they are for a broad
profile of individuals that include: end-users, architects, designers,
integrators etc..

Code implementation specs are for the kind of developer you describe.
It's no coincidence that developers eternally conflate Syntax with
Semantics en route to yet another bundle of costly, bug-ridden, and
maintenance challenged code.

RDF is not about programming. RDF is about making the structured of data
comprehensible to both humans (various profiles operating in a variety
of capacities) and machines driven by code that's orchestrating data
state transitions.

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO