RE: Moving forward with ISSUE-30 (IRI template expansion)

I commented on it - saying +1 for requiring the angle brackets when specifying an explicit datatype for a literal, as I also thought that would make the syntax more compatible with Turtle.

> For all IRIs? I don't see the point in that.
> It makes things more complicated without adding value.

Not as I understand it Ruben, no. This was only applicable for literals (so it wasn't intended to address your a) below, only the b)). The angle brackets were only to be required for specifying the XSD datatype of a literal, i.e. "Markus"^^<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string>.

So Ruben if we have literals delimited in quotes, and we use '^^' and angle brackets around the type, and '@' for languages, *then* would a full-blown Turtle parser be able to parse that literal correctly? If so, would 'SimplifiedTurtle' now be applicable...?

> > We seem to get stuck here. Any suggestions how we could move forward?
> > (this is a question for everyone)
>
> Let me try to help by rephrasing the problem.
>
> a) We need to distinguish between IRIs and literals.
> i.e., the text "http://www.hydra-cg.com/" is different from the IRI
> http://www.hydra-cg.com/.
>
> b) For literals, we should be able to add a type or a language.
>
> Nothing more is necessary; delimiting and escaping already happens.
> This contrasts with Turtle, where delimiting of multiple fields is needed, and
> where IRIs also need to be distinguished from prefixed names.
>

> The syntax we currently have is:
> - surround literals in double quotes
> - signify data types with @ and types with ^^
>
> This seems to be a minimal solution,
> with the added benefit that the '@' and '^^' symbols look familiar.
> There is, however, no other resemblance with N-Triples / Turtle.
>
> Do we agree or disagree on this syntax?

+1 (with the addition of angle brackets around the datatype (if that does indeed make handling typed literals 'full-Turtle-compatible' (and thereby justifying the 'SimplifiedTurtle' name) - if not then further thought and consideration required maybe...!)).