Re: ISSUE-66: LinkedDataT

On 8/6/14 4:25 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:

> various

>> >Good, I've combined this into something I like:
>> >https://github.com/HydraCG/Specifications/commit/eb26b8e32  Thoughts?
> Great work Ruben! I had a couple of minor comments which I added directly to
> the commit referenced above. There's only one thing which I find a bit
> confusing. You say
>
>     All RDF triples have a subject, predicate, and object [...]
>
>         < triples about Walt Disney >
>
>     This combination of structure and URLs is the essence of Linked Data
>
> What exactly do you mean by*structure*  in this context? Could we simplify
> it by saying "This usage of URLs is the essence..."? Or do you think we
> would lose something if we did?

RDF is about encoding and decoding information using subject, predicate,
object sentences or statements.

The subject, predicate, and object (optionally) of an RDF sentence or
statement denoted using IRIs.

When the above is performed using HTTP URIs, and the URIs resolve to RDF
statements that describe their referents, you have Linked Data.

## RDF
<urn:this> <urn:related:to> <urn:that>

## RDF based Linked Data -- assuming the following are relative URI
patterns.

<#This> <#relatedTo> <#That> .

When each of the above is de-referenced (independently), you MUST end up
with RDF like:

<#This>
{triples that describe <#This> } .

<#relatedTo>
{triples that describe <#relatedTo> } .

<#That>
{triples that describe <#That> } .

Remember, the Web already works this way, the behavior just wasn't
formalized in a W3C spec. This is not different to history repeating
itself re., TimBL's Linked Data meme, which wasn't a spec, but simply
described how the existing infrastructure of the Web enabled web-like
structured data representation (i.e., sentence construction if you
followed the RDF standard).

I hope this helps, I desperately want this to turn out right.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO