Re: ISSUE-66: LinkedDataT

On 8/5/14 5:16 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Hi Erik,

>> >that's painfully circular.
> Forgive my ignorance; I came late to the game
> (and apparently was never told the backstory).
>
>> >- the REST community cares a lot about linking data, because that's one of their key architectural principles (probably the most important one).
> linking data is, for me, key to self-descriptive responses, which are vital to REST.
>
> I always found the Linked Data principles (even minus the RDF)
> quite similar to the uniform interface principles:
> http://ruben.verborgh.org/phd/semantics/#the-hypermedia-connection

Yes.

>> >back in 2009, we dared to call this Linked Data and were told we shouldn't.
> Perhaps the SemWeb community shouldn't have claimed the term in the first place…
> A bit arrogant to claim to be the only one linking data (while others have done it for years).

Yes-ish. There should never have been a power-grab for the phrase
"Linked Data" since it could always have been tagged as "RDF based
Linked Data" even if to those in the know it was a tautology of sorts.
Just like "graph data" which is really like saying: data data.

Trouble is that RDF is a poorly defined thing. As with any poor
communication, you end up with confusion and inevitable adoption
inertia. Even worse, in the case of RDF, everyone is using it (even its
most ardent detractors) but the letters R-D-F remain problematic, due to
all the distracting format and notation oriented wars of yore.

My hope is that efforts like JSON-LD, Hydra, Linked Data Fragments
etc.., bring much needed to clarity to RDF without coming across as
being draconian or arrogant etc..

We are supposed to be building bridges, above everything else, in
regards to the Web.

At the core of AWWW lies the axiom of tolerance.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO