Re: ISSUE-66: LinkedData™

On 8/5/14 10:07 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> - RDF* and SPARQL are mentioned between parentheses.
>    Did this mean "e.g., RDF*, SPARQL", or "i.e., RDF*, SPARQL"?
>    That's an important difference, and we'll likely never know.

You can know, from experience and proximity to TimBL during the early
days of the meme.

SPARQL (as explained in a prior response) can be used as a mechanism for
name->address indirection. In short, it is an ultra productive route to
solving implementing the aforementioned item.

The big problem is that many recite TimbL's principles, in mantra-like
fashion, remaining unaware of the critical point outlined above, for the
following reasons:

1. Heavy-duty Linked Data implementation and deployment -- e.g.,
something on the scale of DBpedia that MUST work will all browsers
(including the dreaded IE6), no excuses or finger-pointing allowed

2. Conflating "what you can do with Linked Data" and "how you publish
Linked Data"

3. General RDF meme insecurity -- over the years, there's been strange
insecurity about RDF that's basically lead to many a warped RDF narrative.

RDF came after the Web [1]. It formalizes a critical aspect of the Web
(denotation and connotation). You are always using RDF when you create
Linked Data, that doesn't make the aforementioned fact relevant at all
times, under all circumstances. Most of the time, you can leave it until
much later in the journey towards clarity.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1kstcKO -- Linked Data and the original Web Proposal

[2] http://bit.ly/WAJGCp -- Linked Data (HTTP URI based denotation and
connotation) in a single slide.