RE: ISSUE-66: LinkedDataT

On 5 Aug 2014 at 17:34, Ruben Verborgh wrote:

> So I tried to start the rewrite in another branch, but I got stuck.
> (https://github.com/HydraCG/Specifications/commit/1d22c5360)
>
> I tried to follow this:
>
>> Maybe it would be more straightforward to explain it the other way round:
>>  - documents are in natural language
>>  - machines are bad in understanding natural language
>>  - machines prefer structured data using unambiguous identifiers
>>  - the Web uses URLs* as identifiers
>>  - RDF allows data to be expressed in a machine-processable way by
>> leveraging URLs
>>  (- RDF expresses data in the form of triples) -- could be omitted
>>  - RDF can be serialized in various formats such as JSON-LD, HTML+RDFa,
>> orTurtle
>
> I got stuck, because I wanted to arrive at "Linked Data"
> but I end up at "RDF".
> At the moment, it seems the old direction was clearer.

What about

   "Machines prefer structured data using unambiguous identifiers,
    and on the Web, these identifiers are URLs."

... Linked Data combines these two things* to make it easier for machines to
process and integrate data from different sources. RDF formalizes a
triple-based data model that can be used to publish Linked Data in various
formats such as ...

* using a better term for "things"

>> [.]
>>
>> If it doesn't add anything, just leave it out.
>
> This sentence (at the moment) introduces Linked Data,
> so it is quite crucial. How about:
>
>   By publishing Linked Data [LINKED-DATA],
>   enable automated clients can interpret information.
> maybe augmented with
>
> , by relying on URLs as universal identifiers.

See my suggestion above. I'm also fine with your proposal here.

HTH,