Re: Schema.org Actions - an update and call for review

+ public-hydra, public-vocabs

That  (moving this thread to the lists) makes a lot of sense to me Markus:
adding public-hydra and public-vocabs to log our discussion.

Couple of questions:

(1) How much benefit are you expecting from the flexibility of
supportedProperties? don't you think that that will eventually corner
yourself into a fragmented ecosystem of APIs (each having a different set
of supportedProperties?)?
(2) How are you planning on identifying which specific instances the
supportedOperations can act on the supportedClasses? We are running into a
problem here that we are calling the "inventory problem": it refers to the
fact that the pair "supported operations" (we call these Actions in
schema.org) and "supported classes" (we call these Things/Nouns in
schema.org) isn't sufficient in some cases, and you need to take a step
further to describe which specific instances your API deals with.

For example, netflix can stream (http://schema.org/WatchAction) movies (
http://schema.org/Movie), but not *any* movie: it can stream a specific set
of movies that are in their *inventory* of streamable movies (e.g. movies
that in theatres right now are *not* in their inventory, movies that can
only be rented via DVDs either, etc).

A variation of this problem comes up on a wide range of applications, so
much that we need to deal with that as a first class citizen. Here are a
few examples:

- ticketmaster can "sell events tickets", but specifically upcoming events
(e.g. it cannot sell an event that already happened 2 years ago).
- opentable can "reserve tables", but specifically to a set of restaurants
*and* to specific time slots.
- yellowcab can "book cabs", but in specific geographic region.

We have a few thoughts on how to address this, but none that we are
particularly excited about. Have you run into this problem on hydra?

Sam