Re: Connecting schema.org and OpenReferral

Tricia,

Thank you for your post.

Phil Archer, who started these W3C community groups, referenced schema.org
in his January blog post
<http://www.w3.org/blog/data/2014/01/06/vocabularies-at-w3c/>, and
discussed the ins and outs of it.  I think schema.org is useful in the
context of making vocabularies crawlable by search companies, but it's not
very expressive (they just started adding verbs and are considering
referencing other vocabularies), and each domain needs to govern its own
vocabulary since they know it best; not asking search companies for
approval.  Hence the W3C community groups.

That said, I think it's a great idea to map equivalencies in our human
services vocabularies to schema.org.  Conversely, crawling popular Linked
Open Vocabularies could obviate the need for schema.org over time.

There are many human services vocabularies out there addressing different
aspects of human services, some further along than others.  I'm not sure if
I mentioned to you the work I'm engaged in with the The Alliance of
Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) Linked Open Vocabulary
<https://github.com/airs-linked-data/lov/blob/master/docs/airs_vocab.png>
and build-out, which occupies the same domain space as Open Referral: human
services resource listings.

It's an exciting time as we quickly connect relationships between the
myriad and nascent vocabularies out there, both within the human services
community, and outward to the world around it.  It's almost like the
original vision of the web is finally coming to fruition.  -Eric

Eric Jahn
Data Architect/IT Director
Alexandria Consulting LLC
St. Petersburg, Florida