Re: making a bar chart only with HTML

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> All of these methods essentially take HTML - meant to semantically
> mark up content - and fake some sort of visual out of it. It's
> misusing the technology to varying degrees.

That’s what technologies are for! ☺

However, at least method #4, using an HTML table, looks rather
structured to me. It’s about tabular data, marked up as an HTML <table>
element, then styled with CSS in order to show it as a bar chart. I find
it somewhat wanting, though, as it hides the percentage figures as text,
but this is easy to fix (by putting those texts into the bars). But it
degrades gracefully (in a non-CSS environment) to a simple table showing
tabulated data.

Of course, it’s not creating a bar chart ”only with HTML”. Most
”HTML only” things aren’t, and need not be.

And approaches that do not use an HTML <table> might be practically
feasible, too, though less logical in a sense.

> I'd recommend looking at using a technology that is actually meant for
> graphics/visuals, such as SVG, instead.
Perhaps a good idea for practical reasons. But there is no way to find
”the best” method when no criteria for goodness and no specific setup
has been defined.

I don’t think this question is relevant to the design of HTML, unless
someone can point out how HTML could be improved to facilitate styling
tabular data as a bar chart.

--
Yucca
http://jkorpela.fi