Re: HTML6 Suggestions...

Correct. www-style@w3.org, or preferably raise an issue here: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues

> But I wonder if this is really a browser implementation issue. HTML has tbody and thead/tfoot in the expectation that browsers will implement the scrollability - probably doing something like setting an explicit height on the tbody with CSS - some time at the end of the 1990s.
>
> I don't think there is any need to change HTML itself, and I suspect that CSS also has the relevant properties - it intuitively seems that something like
>
> tbody { height:2em;overflow:hidden }
>
> should do the trick, but in the couple of browsers I tested - Yandex, based on blink like Chrome Vivaldi and Opera, and Firefox - it doesn't.

It does not work because the way table layout works does not allow the height and width property on table parts to make them smaller than their content. Since you cannot trigger overflow, you cannot use the overflow property to affect what the overflow would look like, and make it hidden or scrollable, or what have you.

While this may be sad that it works that way, this is not something we can change, due to legacy content and the need for compatibility.

We would probably need a new property (or a new value to the table-layout property) to switch tables into a layout mode where it is possible to size table parts to be smaller than their content, but I don't think defining a new table layout algorithm is going to get a warm welcome from implementers, so you're going to need to be *very* convincing, or to come up with a simpler plan.

Either way,  www-style@w3.org, or https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues is the right place for this.

—Florian