Re: Always use h1-h6 by level again

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:30:53 +0200, Alastair Campbell
<acampbell@nomensa.com> wrote:

> White, Jason J wrote:
>> I support the proposed solution to define and implement a new <h>
>> element, and to maintain the original semantics of <h1> - <h6>. This
>> would also solve the problem of having more than 6 heading levels
>> (admittedly a rare case of which I'm yet to encounter an example).
>
> I haven’t seen it as a problem on the web (in a way that couldn’t be
> solved by simplifying the page), but do ebooks count in this context?

Sure.

But to be clear, there are two proposals on the table with very different
effects.

The first is to remove the outlining-based stuff that doesn't work from
the HTML specification, which would take effect from the next Public
Working Draft, and make its way into HTML 5.1 which we hope to have as a
Recommendation later this year.

The second, to introduce some kind of heading without level to allow an
outlining-based solution, is speculative, and will not be adopted into
HTML without sufficient uptake in reality to reassure us that it is going
to become a working part of the Web Platform.

cheers