Re: Remove table sorting - issue 56

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 09:44:41 +0200, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 April 2016 at 08:32, Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>
>> Instead, proposal for respective API sort mappings should be actively
>> communicated to the browser vendors and the group should be open for
>> discussion here.
>
> It has been in the spec for years, and browser vendors have declined to
> implement. moving the spec to recommendation involves trimming
> unimplemented features ,as they don't meet the requirements for a rec.
>
> I don't think its Chaals intention to bin the sorting alogorithm, but to
> move it out of HTML5.1 where it is not appropriately included.

Correct. I think the situation is exactly as Mikeā„¢ described elsewhere, a
failure in this case largely of browsers to take the "Priority of
constituencies" seriously.

I don't know the reason, but probably no browser engineer ever felt this
was a priority given that there are any number of scripts that do it.
Although that is generally a sign that this feature is a priority for
developers.

One of the obvious questions is whether the scripts shipped around are
sufficiently performant, and I don't know the answer.

I'll probably put something into the WICG group, which is meant to be a
place where browsers consider things which are not in the HTML spec, but
which people would like to have there.

cheers