RE: Please comment: Modular HTML or monolith? (esp. regarding Web Components)

From: Ian Devlin [mailto:ian@iandevlin.com]
Sent: 06 April 2016 11:55
“I like the idea of it being more modular, as long as there would also be some sort of master index page which facilitates easy location of the required specification and is kept up-to-date every time a new version of any underlying modular specification is released so an at a glance view of what is the latest version would be possible,

Being modular allows each spec to have versioning of its own and I can imagien that it would be easier to maintain rather than trying to maintain such a huge specification.”

As an engineer, I agree that a modular approach makes sense. Trying to find salient information in the monolith is time consuming at best, and downright frustrating at worst.

Referencing modules is a key piece of the puzzle. Putting new features into separate modules will make them more manageable, but unless we signpost them clearly from a central point it won’t help people using HTML when they want to find something.

Léonie.

--

@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem.