Re: [whatwg] HTML6 proposal for single-page apps without Javascript

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 6:40 AM, Martin Janecke <whatwg.org@prlbr.com> wrote:
>
> The shorter load time comes at a price. For example, these pages are difficult to archive by sites like the Internet Archive or WebCite. It's much more difficult to process these pages with bots – instead of a simple script reading a text file bots need to be half a webbrowser to make sense of them. In my perception, these sites are inherently less accessible because they dissociate a resource from its URI.
>
> Furthermore, my user experience suffers on these sites quite often. In your example https://builtwith.angularjs.org , when I navigate to "page 2" using the page navigation bar at the bottom, and then hit my browser's back button, I don't get back to "page 1", but to where I was before accessing builtwith.angularjs.org. That's unexpected and a bad user experience. I can't rely on the browser's user interface with those sites, but have to learn each site's individual user interface.

In my proposal you still keep canonical URLs in the HREF attribute.  Static (first-page) content is loaded from that URL, while dynamic content is loaded from the MREF attribute’s API endpoint.  This HREF URL would appear in the URL bar, as it does now, and you can copy & paste the HREF URL to save it or share it with someone over email or something if you wish.  So, the UX problems you describe wouldn’t occur in this proposal.

>> Why does the web have to load full pages? That’s clunky and not app-like.
>
> You don't have to reload CSS, JavaScript, fonts or presentational images.. These are cached. You only have to load a page with content and some structural HTML markup. That may not be app-like, but it's fine in my opinion, and prevents the bad user experience surprises I discussed above.

The full-page refresh is definitely not fine.  Designers go through all sorts of pains to avoid it.  XMLHttpRequest exists because of it.  Not sure why you would find any interface UX problems acceptable?  That should be the highest priority, over anything else.

-bobby
---
Bobby Mozumder
Editor-in-Chief